Are you a university student?
Are you interested in research topics on food and nutrition security in the Arab world?
Want to share a summary of your university research with a wide audience?
Here is a chance to join our list of distinguished bloggers, by participating in the Arab Food and Nutrition Security Blog competition.
In celebration of reaching our 100th blog post on the Arab Food and Nutrition Security Blog, we would like to introduce this blog competition by welcoming blog entries from students on the following topics under the theme of Food and Nutrition Security in the Arab World:
(based on FAO's definition of Food Security):
AVAILABILITY of Food
Food availability addresses the “supply side” of food security and is determined by the level of food production, stock levels and net trade.
ACCESS to Food
An adequate supply of food at the national or international level does not in itself guarantee household level food security. Concerns about insufficient food access have resulted in a greater policy focus on incomes, expenditure, markets and prices in achieving food security objectives.
Utilization is commonly understood as the way the body makes the most of various nutrients in the food. Sufficient energy and nutrient intake by individuals is the result of good care and feeding practices, food preparation, diversity of the diet and intra-household distribution of food. Combined with good biological utilization of food consumed, this determines the nutritional status of individuals.
STABILITY Over Time
Different people are food secure to varying degrees and will be affected by adverse events differently. People’s food security situation may change over time. Adverse weather conditions, political instability, or economic factors may impact on food security status.
Who Can Participate?
University students at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels who are enrolled at the time of blog submission interested on research topics related to Arab Food and Nutrition Security
How to Submit?
- Write 500 – 700 words on one of the above topics
- Must be AN ORIGINAL BLOG not previously published in any other publication online or in print
- Save the file in word with the file named accordingly: E.g. AFNS Blog Competition Entry by [Your Full Name]
- Send it by email to IFPRI-MENA@cgiar.org
- For more information please check the competition guidelines
- The deadline for participating in the competition is April 20, 2018.
- Blog submissions are accepted in English or Arabic
- Results will be announced online in May.
The blogs submitted will be reviewed by a panel of researchers and communication professionals who will arrange the blogs along the topics mentioned above, select the best blog under each topic.
- The winners will be mailed an official certificate of recognition from IFPRI MENA.
- The blog will get published on the Arab Food and Nutrition Security blog.
*Photo credit: Pietro Ferreira. Source: Flickr.