About the Project
This project is a product of the collaboration between IFPRI, the CGIAR Policies, Institutions and Markets (PIM) Program and United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Key questions that are tackled in various publications and in various seminars and workshops are:
- Which are the agricultural activities for which MENA countries show a comparative advantage in international markets? How important are these activities at present and what is there contribution to total output?
- What role could agriculture play in a future development strategy for the region, and what should be the central elements guiding agricultural policies?
- What development strategies and policies did governments in MENA put in place in the past three decades and how did they affect the performance of agriculture?
- Which factors explain the relatively high levels of agricultural employment and low labor productivity in lower middle-income countries and how did the economic transformation process in the region affect agricultural development?
- What policy changes are needed to increase agricultural productivity and facilitate labor reallocation to high productive jobs?